Lamphey Bishop's Palace
At Lamphey, the medieval bishops of St Davids built for themselves a magnificent retreat away from worries of Church and State. Here, amongst fishponds, fruit orchards, vegetable gardens and sweeping parklands, they could enjoy the life of country gentlemen.
Their palace was improved over two centuries, though it was mainly the work of Henry de Gower, Bishop of St Davids from 1328 to 1347, who built the splendid Great Hall. Later additions included a Tudor chapel with a fine, five-light east window.
+44 2920 500200 - Access:- A4139
from Pembroke or Tenby. -
For further information on Wales's Wealth of historic sites write to:-
Cadw, Plas Carew, Unit 5/7 Cefn Coed, Park Nantgarw, Cardiff, CF15 7QQ, Wales, UK.
Telephone:- +44 1443 33 6000
Fax:- +44 1443 33 6001
Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Crown Copyright.
|Click on the town name below to visit other areas of Wales or Here for Map|
|Beaumaris||Beddgelert||Betws-y-Coed||Brecon||Builth Wells||Caernarfon||Caldey Island|
|Rhyl||Ruabon||Ruthin||Saundersfoot||St Asaph||St Davids||Swansea|
Copyright © Croeso.com 1998 -